Sex Crimes Penalties in Oklahoma City
Strategizing Ways to Reduce Your Punishment & Help You Move Forward
Sex crime charges can permanently damage your livelihood. Not only could you suffer prison time and fines, but you may have to register as a sex offender which can hinder your life in unimaginable ways. You may experience limited to zero opportunities to see your family, secure employment and housing, and enjoy peace of mind. Society stereotypes sex offenders very negatively, making it urgent to hire a seasoned sex crimes defense attorney at Coyle Law Firm.
Types of Sex Crimes & Consequences
Your punishment will depend on the type of crime, who the victim is, your prior conviction history (if applicable) and aggravating factors, if any.
Penalties for Rape
First-degree rape: Felony punishable by 5 years to life in prison without
parole, or death.
- Any person convicted of rape in the first degree after having been convicted of either rape in the first degree, forcible sodomy, lewd molestation or sexual abuse of a child shall be sentenced to life without parole. If the victim is a child under 14 years old and the person has a prior conviction for forcible anal or oral sodomy, rape, rape by instrumentation, or lewd molestation of a child under 14, death or life in prison. Any person sentenced to two (2) years or more for a violation of this section shall be required to serve a term of post-imprisonment supervision.
- Second-degree rape: 1 to 15 years in prison.
- Rape using violence or the threat of violence includes up to life imprisonment
- Rape by causing fear in the victim (either for themselves or another) includes up to life imprisonment
- Rendering the victim unable to give consent includes up to 15 years in prison.
Penalties for Statutory Rape
- Adult perpetrator, first-time offender: Maximum 15 years in prison
- Adult perpetrator with previous conviction: Up to life in prison
- Perpetrator who is a minor: Up to 15 years in prison
- Causing rape by a third person: Up to 10 years in prison
- Causing rape by a third person where the victim is under 12: Up to life in prison
Penalties for Sexual Battery
The penalties for sexual battery vary greatly by degree of offense and whether or not the victim was a minor.
Penalties for Indecent Exposure
- A fine of $500 to $20,000 and/or jail time for 30 days to 10 years.
Penalties for Sex Crimes Involving Minors — Including Indecent or Lewd Acts
Indecent or lewd acts with a minor generally refer to the touching, fondling, and abuse of a sexual nature of a minor. This is more commonly known as child molestation. Most instances of sex crimes involving minors will end with the perpetrator registering as a sex offender as well as hefty fines and extensive jail time.
If knowledge and intent is involved in the crime, you may face 3 to 20 years in prison.
- If the victim is under 12 at the time of the offense, the minimum sentence is 25 years.
- If a person is convicted of a second or subsequent violation under this subsection, he shall not be eligible for probation, suspended or deferred sentence.
- If a person is convicted of a third or subsequent violation under this subsection, he is eligible for a term of life in prison without parole.
- If a person has twice been convicted of a violation of Rape – First Degree, Forcible Sodomy, or sexual abuse of a child, the penalty is life in prison or life in prison without parole.
- If the victim is a child under 14 years old and the person has a prior conviction for forcible anal or oral sodomy, rape, rape by instrumentation, or lewd molestation of a child under 14, death or life in prison.
The penalty for committing sexual battery and lewd/lascivious activity is a maximum of 10 years in prison. Except for persons sentenced to life or life without parole, any person sentenced to imprisonment for two (2) years or more for a violation of this section shall be required to serve a term of post-imprisonment supervision.
Contact Coyle Law Firm to Advocate for Reduced Penalties
Whether you are under investigation or have already been arrested and charged for a sex crime, our defense attorneys in Oklahoma City have the knowledge and experience you need to best combat your charges. We can advise you on what to do following your sex crime allegations so you can have clarity as you undergo your legal proceedings. With 70+ years of combined legal experience, which includes trial work, we have what it takes to fight for a brighter future on your behalf.
“Excellent. As always this law firm is dedicated to be there every step of the way for you.”- Alyssa W.
“None better if you're in trouble.”- James D.
“When I say this firm has treated my WHOLE family like we are a part of their family is a understatement.”- Ray G.